Applying for a visa

You will need a Tier 4 (General) student visa to study at Leeds Beckett International Study Centre for progression to Leeds Beckett University. Check if you need a visa.

How do I get a UK student visa?

  • First, you must apply for the programme of your choice.
  • Receive an offer of a place on your chosen programme.
  • Send requested documents to be checked by staff at the International Study Centre. This will include medical certificates, IELTS scores, financial statements and exam results, if you have already received them.
  • Receive a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) from the International Study Centre. 
  • Pay a deposit and CAS payment to the International Study Centre.
  • Apply for your visa online, and pay the application fee. You must attach financial statements which prove that you have the funds to cover the programme and your living costs.
  • You may then be required to attend a credibility interview.
  • You will be contacted to inform you whether your visa application has been accepted or rejected. 

When should I apply for a visa?

You can apply for a visa up to three months before your course start date. Apply early to make sure there is enough time for your application to be processed. 

How long can I stay in the UK with a student visa?

If you have a Tier 4 (General) student visa, and your course is between six and 12 months long, you may arrive in the UK up to one month before it starts. You can stay in the UK for an extra four months after your course end date.

Visa credibility interviews

What is a credibility interview?

A credibility interview - also known as a visa interview - is designed to ensure that you comply with the UK’s immigration rules. Not everyone is required to have one; it depends on your home country. In the interview, an Entry Clearance Officer (ECO) will try to establish that you are a genuine student, and not planning to use a student visa for holiday or work. The interview is nothing to worry about; you just need to show that you are serious about studying at a UK university, and that you have researched your chosen course at the International Study Centre.

Will I need to attend an interview?

You may not be required to attend an interview. If you are an applicant from one of the countries listed here you will not need to attend a credibility interview.

Where will I have my credibility interview?

You will normally be interviewed at your nearest Visa Application Centre when you submit your visa application documents. This interview is via a secure video system and you will be interviewed by a UKVI member of staff who is in the UK.

How should I prepare for a credibility interview?

Make sure you have researched the International Study Centre and are able to explain why you chose it. Familiarise yourself with the content of the course. Think about why you want to study in the UK, rather than elsewhere. 

What questions will I be asked in a credibility interview?

Below are a few examples of common credibility interview questions:

Explain to the interviewer why you have chosen to study in the UK, rather than in your home country or elsewhere.
Show that you have done your research, and tell the interviewer why you think Leeds Beckett is the right university for you. 
You should be able to demonstrate that you have a financial plan of how to afford your tuition fees and living costs.

What if my student visa is refused?

If you receive a visa refusal, you have 28 days to submit an Administrative Review to the UKVI and challenge the decision made. You will need to respond in writing to each of the points raised in the refusal.